Candles, whether real or flameless, big or small, scented or not, are unlike any other piece of decor you can have. Here's an easy DIY idea that you can use in your home or gift to friends or loved ones. I made mine specifically for the holidays, but you could put anything on the front... an initial, a snowflake, a leaf, a flower, etc.
You will need:
- Square-shaped glass candle holders
- Votive candles
- Book or music pages
- Cut shapes, can be letters or other designs
- Mod Podge
- Sponge brush
- Cut your book or music pages a bit larger than each side of the glass holder.
- Sponge Mod Podge on one side of the glass and press the page on, tucking the paper around the edges.
- Repeat on the three remaining sides.
- When all sides are complete, cover the entire surface with Mod Podge.
- Place a letter (or another shape) in the center and secure with Mod Podge.
- When the Mod Podge is dry, place a candle inside the holder. Light and enjoy!
To make these, find:
- 2 pieces of felt
- Sewing machine
- Thread, to match felt
- Cut each piece of felt in half and decide on a shape you want to make.
- Sketch the shape onto all 4 pieces of felt with a pencil.
- Place the felt on top of each other and cut out your shape.
- Sew two of the pieces together leaving a 1-inch opening. Repeat with the other pieces.
- Using a funnel, fill each pocket with rice until full or almost full; you decide.
- Sew up the opening.
- Warm them up in the microwave for a few seconds and hold on tight!
If you have little ones who are interested in sewing, this is a great starter project!
About the author
Jill Bauer hosts the popular QVC show, You're Home with Jill, and provides fans with simple solutions for their busy lives through innovative products, a library of stress-free DIY projects and crowd-pleasing recipes. Connect with Jill on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.